- Ascertain the geographic reach of the country’s HIV program through aggregate facility level data on key indicators throughout the country (not just PEPFAR supported sites)
- Contribute to a comprehensive understanding of the full data landscape and inform best approaches to reach epidemic control
- Improve and streamline reporting process and quality of data by building efficiencies and strengthening the national systems
- Emphasize system interoperability and collaborate to realize the “collect once, use multiple times” paradigm
The FY2017 Activity launched in collaboration with the 13 priority epidemic control countries to align six key HIV indicators. In September 2017, PEPFAR conducted an in-person workshop in Johannesburg, South Africa with all 13 participating countries to complete Activity deliverables and provide direct technical support. By the end of the 2017 Activity, country teams and MoHs successfully aligned almost 30,000 facilities, added an additional 4,000 facilities, and triangulated site-level data identifying areas for data quality improvement.
In 2018, the Activity expanded to all 23 PEPFAR Long Term Strategy countries to align five key HIV indicators. Building on the FY2017 objectives and achievements, PEPFAR conducted a month-long Virtual Workshop with all 23 participating countries through the newly established PEPFAR Virtual Academy. The Virtual Workshop included instructional webinars, video tutorials, and other technical information to assist country teams and MoHs in completing the FY2018 deliverables. All 23 countries have completed Indicator Mapping, 21 countries have completed Facility Reconciliation, and 18 have completed Data Import.
The FY2019 Activity is currently underway and focusing on building efficiencies in the reporting processes and maintaining alignment with facility lists and indicator definitions.
Data Alignment Activity Process
The PEPFAR/MoH Data Alignment Activity is broken out into four key milestones. The first three milestones involve transforming the data into a compatible format and imported into DATIM while the fourth involves data analysis and use. Through completing the four milestones, Ministries of Health, PEPFAR country teams, and PEPFAR HQ will have access and visibility into the same aggregate data collectively housed within the PEPFAR DATIM system.
These four milestones include:
- Facility Alignment: Aligning the DATIM organizational hierarchy and facility list to the authoritative master facility list (MFL) in each country.
- Indicator Mapping: Mapping indicators in the MoH health management information system (HMIS) to the equivalent PEPFAR MER indicators.
- MoH Results Data Extraction, Transformation, and Loading (ETL): Extracting facility level results from the MoH system, transforming data according to the indicator mapping, and loading the data into the DATIM system.
- Data Use: Analyzing the resulting complementary datasets (MoH and PEPFAR side by side) within the DATIM system or exported for analysis in other systems or to share with relevant stakeholders.
- Cote d'Ivoire
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- South Africa
- South Sudan