With recent updates to the PEPFAR Data Genie (Genie), there is updated and new content available in the Operating Unit by Implementing Mechanism (OU by IM), Priority Sub-National Unit by IM (PSNU by IM) and Site by IM User’s Guide and Data Dictionary.
The DATIM Data Genie Application (Genie) contains three reports with in-process, structured MER data: Operating Unit by Implementing Mechanism (OU by IM), Priority Sub-National Unit by IM (PSNU by IM), and Site by IM. These reports mimic the MER Structured Datasets (twice-quarterly frozen datasets available in Panorama) by the same respective names in terms of the organizational hierarchy levels and calculations contained in the datasets. These Genie extract reports were created to reduce data access burdens and provide datasets in a standardized format to facilitate analysis of in-process data. Users have the option to limit the number of rows returned by applying different filter options. Furthermore, the extracted data (in tab delimited format) can be imported into Excel or any statistical software package for conducting analysis.
The Genie application is synchronized daily to reflect data entered in the DATIM system (www.datim.org). The landing page “Last Synced” flag indicates the most recent time stamp for the data.
The following table details when the synchronization process from DATIM to the Genie begins and ends in several time zones:
These analytic datasets incorporate the following features:
- A PEPFAR organizational hierarchy which focuses on only those levels that are relevant to program priorities: Region, Operating Unit, Country, Prioritization-level SNU (PSNU; as applicable), Community (as applicable), and Facility (as applicable).
- A column listing the specific indicator name (e.g., HTS_TST) separate from other pieces of metadata to allow for easy display and filtering of data in analysis.
- PSNU Prioritizations as attributes which allow for easy filtering or grouping by prioritization level (not applicable to the IM dataset).
- CategoryOptionComboNames (the DATIM variable describing specific disaggregations) that are broken out into separate columns for age, sex, result status, modality, and all other disaggregates.
- Additional age columns that easily distinguish Fine, Semi-Fine, and Coarse age disaggregates for easier analysis.
- A filtering column to flag the Military sub national unit NOT site level data (i.e., _MIL SNU) for easy identification, removal, or analysis.
- A calculated Most Complete Age-Sex Disaggregate (MCAD) for HTS_TST, TX_NEW, and TX_CURR indicators that utilize Fine, Semi-Fine and Coarse age/sex bands for FY2017 and prior.
- Columns to distinguish the approval level values and descriptions.
- Target, result and Annual Program Review (APR) values for FY17 and FY18 reporting periods including the in-process (unapproved) reporting period.
- Multi-OU filter selection capability in the PSNU by IM and OU by IM extracts
- Features that will be included in a future release include frozen extracts at the OU, PSNU, and Site by IM levels.
The output from the Genie extracts are dependent on user roles and implementing mechanism approval levels – this is known as security trimming. With the FY2018 Q4 Data Entry open, Approval Levels 1, 2 and 3 are considered Approved data while 4, 5 and 99 are Unapproved. The table below outlines the different approval levels that each user role/type of account is able to view (Yes = data viewable and No = data not viewable to that user role). For example, if data is submitted by the Partner for Agency approval (labeled with level 5), then interagency and global users will not be able to view and extract that data for the desired period. The approval level security trimming is also applicable to previous closed periods. Further guidance on the data approval process can be found here on the DATIM support page here.
For Partner Users, only four of the Genie Reports are available for use. These include: The Data Review Tool (DRT), OU by IM, PSNU by IM and Site by IM.
Please refer to the attachment for more details.