This Resource Package supports the PEPFAR/MoH Data Alignment activity. That activity was announced in a diplomatic cable sent to the 13 participating country teams on July 11, 2017. A copy of that cable is provided below (Appendix B). This section of the Package covers the following topics:
- Description of the PEPFAR/MoH Data Alignment
- Copy of the Diplomatic Cable
- Activity Calendar/Timeline
- Roles and Responsibilities Chart
- Process Description
- Activity Self-Assessment Description
1. Description of the PEPFAR/MoH Data Alignment Activity
A) Countries Covered:
Botswana, Cote d’Ivoire, Haiti, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, Rwanda, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
- To provide MoH with comprehensive access to an unambiguous view of their program – and PEPFAR’s role within it – supported by PEPFAR’s most effective analytical tools
- To provide PEPFAR with a validated ‘total view’ of the epidemic in each of our partner countries to allow us to better target our interventions
- To facilitate the possibility of automating results reporting between PEPFAR and the Ministry of Health
Each of these goals is further discussed in the Expected Benefits section in Appendix A.
C) Indicator Results to be Aligned:
For the most recent 12 month period:
- Number of people tested for HIV and were positive
- Through Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission (PMTCT) program, number of women tested for HIV and were positive and on HIV treatment
- Number of people newly initiating HIV treatment
- Number of people currently on HIV treatment
- Number of people and percentage retained on HIV treatment
2. Diplomatic Cable Requesting Participation
A copy of the cable is provided in Appendix B.
3. Activity Calendar/Timeline
Review the Activity Calendar article to learn more or download a copy of this timeline.
4. Roles and Responsibilities Chart
5. Process Description
After completing the Self-Assessment, S/GAC requests that participating OUs undertake the five step process outlined below. The process steps will be fully described in bi-weekly webinars, as schedule in the Activity Calendar above. The five steps are:
- Step 1: Map the 6 Indicators (OU & MoH)
- Step 2: Match the OU and the MoH geopolitical org hierarchies and Facilities (OU & MoH)
- Step 3: Access MoH’s site level Results data (MoH)
- Step 4: Load fully aligned PEPFAR and MoH Results into a jointly accessible Staging area
- Step 5: Give MoH full access to PEPFAR data supported by Analytic tools
6. Activity Self-Assessment
A copy of the Self-Assessment tool is provided in excel format. The tool is intended to give PEPFAR Country Teams and their MoH partners a general sense of the Level of Effort (LoE) the Alignment activity will likely require. It will also provide S/GAC with a sense of the LoE we are likely to need to provide in support of each of the Country Teams. Note the requested submission deadline of July 28. We will provide more guidance on completion of the self-assessment during the July 20 webinar.
The Self-Assessment contains 4 sections corresponding to the steps outlined in the Process Description above. The sections include Facility-related questions, Indicator-related questions, Results-related questions as well a question which request ‘free text’ response. While the questions are quite detailed in certain cases, the important thing to focus on is the level of difficulty expected to be involved in determining an accurate response. We suggest that this activity been jointly undertaken with your MoH colleagues as an initial step. Webinar 1, on July 20th, will focus on the Assessment tool.
 *On August 15, the ability to make changes to the DATIM facility list will be deactivated for the 13 participating countries as we will be working with your teams on the MoH/PEPFAR hierarchy alignment in a staging system during this time. The ability to make hierarchy changes with DATIM will be restored on October 15 prior to MoH data submission. We will discuss throughout the webinar series steps your team should take to prepare for this outage.
**The webinar series and the country-specific work we will do with your teams will lead directly into related courses and hands-on technical support during the upcoming PEPFAR Data and Systems Applied Learning Summit in Johannesburg.
All attachments mentioned throughout this article are provided below for your team's use.